By: Radia Banu Jan Mohamad, Librarian S48 (USM)
The AUNILO (ASEAN University Network Inter-Library Online) Working Committee was formed as a result of the Resolution of the Conference on ASEAN University Network Inter-Library Online held at De La Salle University, Manila, Philippines on 13 February 2002. The aim of the AUNILO Working Committee is to help members develop world-class library and information services by:
- Planning and formulating strategies and monitoring the progress of activities for the mutual benefit of the member libraries.
- Pursuing resource sharing activities among the member libraries.
- Developing and sustaining human resource development programs among the member libraries.
- Harnessing ICT in the promotion, maintenance and enhancement of programs and activities of member libraries.
The name of the AUNILO Working Committee was changed to AUNILO Committee during the 3rd Meeting held in Brunei Darussalam from 18th September to 21st September 2006. The AUNILO Committee meets at least once a year to plan, prepare and assess activities as well as present Institutional/Country reports. The AUNILO which stands for ASEAN University Network Inter-Library Online was reviewed during the 9th AUNILO Meeting at University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur in 2013 after it was motioned out in the 8th Meeting at the National University of Singapore in 2012. It was agreed that the AUNILO name of the network which is already known, to be remained, but it no longer refers to Inter-Library Online but represents Libraries of ASEAN University Network.
The objectives of the AUNILO are:
- To promote competent human resource development in ASEAN by strong support of wider access to academic sources shared by all ASEAN countries.
- To strengthen existing linkages and support further co-operations among higher education institutions in ASEAN countries through the sharing of academic resources.
- To provide another channel of information sharing among academic communities in ASEAN, utilizing technological advancement and existing resources in the AUN Member Universities.
Universiti Sains Malaysia Library (Malaysia) was elected as AUNILO Secretariat for the year 2004 – 2008. The appointment as Secretariat has been extended to 2013 and continued for another five years to 2018. The terms of reference of the Secretariat are as follows:
- Coordinate with the AUN Secretariat and member libraries of planned activities and monitor progress of said activities.
- Facilitate communication among member libraries.
- Act as clearing house for training and other programmes.
- Present progress report at the annual meeting
Chairperson of AUNILO Secretariat:
Datin Masrah Hj. Abidin (2004 – 2007)
Mrs. Sofiah Hashim (2007 – 2008)
Mr. Mohd Pisol Ghadzali (2008 – 2013)
Mr. Mohd Pisol Ghadzali (2013-2015)
Mr. Ali Abd Rahim (2015-2017)
Mrs. Engku Razifah Engku Chik (2017-2018)
AUNILO on the web:
USM Library’s term as AUNILO Secretariat will end in 2018. Philippines has agreed in the 13th AUNILO Meeting in Bangkok, Thailand recently to take over the position and the tasks. The experience of handling a network of ASEAN region will always be cherished as it has taught us to be professional and develop excellence in selected areas.