By: Dr. Nor Edzan Che Nasir, PPM Immediate Past President; IFLA RSCAO Member
The RSCAO Mid Term Meeting was hosted by the National Library of Korea (NLK) and the Korean Library Association (KLA) from 9 to 11 April 2018 in Seoul, Korea. The Meeting was attended by ten IFLA RSCAO members, an IFLA RSCAO corresponding member, three IFLA RSCAO advisors, the IFLA Regional Manager and a representative from NLB. Malaysia is represented by Dr. Nor Edzan Che Nasir as an IFLA RSCAO member and Rashidah Begum Fazal Mohamed as IFLA RSCAO advisor. The Meeting was held at the NLK on from 9 to 10 April 2018. During the two-day Meeting, the members were taken on a guided tour of the Digital Library and the Preservation and Research Centre of NLK, the Starfield Library at COEX Mall and the Seoul National University Library. The members were also taken on a visit to the Changdeokgung Palace and spent time exploring Insadong, a Korean traditional Street.
The Seminar for Cooperation with Libraries in Asia and Oceania with the theme Libraries for Transforming Local Communities was held at the International Conference of NLK on 11 April 2018. Jaesun Lee gave the opening address on behalf of Park Joo Hwan, the Chief Executive of the National Library of Korea. This was followed by a welcome address by Sanjay K. Bihani, the Chair of IFLA-RSCAO. The President of the Korean Library Association, Lee Sang Bok, presented his keynote address titled Public Libraries Forming a Humanities Community: A Library Project [Humanities on the Road]. This was followed by individual presentations:
- Changing Times, Changing Library Services: Case Studies from Australia – Jayshree Mamtora, Research Services Coordinator, Charles Darwin University.
- Stepping Up: Remaking Singapore’s Libraries for Our Communities – Tay Ai Cheng, deputy Chief Executive & Chief Librarian, National Library Board, Singapore.
- Transformation of Libraries in Myanmar in Digital Age – Mya Oo, Director, National Library of Myanmar; General Secretary, Myanmar Library Association.
- Recent Trends of Town Revitalization and Public Libraries in Japan – Takashi Nagatsuka, Professor Department of Library, Archival and Information Studies, Tsurumi University, Japan.
- Invitation to IFLA WLIC 2018 – Rashidah Begum Fazal Mohamed, Chair of Sub-Committee on Marketing, National Committee IFLA WLIC 2018.
- Libraries as a Foundation for Grassroots Democracy – Jinwoo Lee, Library Headquarters, General Director, Seongbok Cultural Foundation.
- Public Places as Place, Full of Meanings, Memories and Information – Sukyong Lee, Team Leader, Pyongtaek City Library, Jangdang Operation Team.
- Cooperation from the National Library of Korea for Preservation of National Memory – Sulhee Cho, Director, Digital Library Planning Division of the National Library of Korea.